The thirteenth edition of D’A – Barcelona Film Festival comes to an end with a diverse list of winners, the result of the difficult deliberations of the four Juries (Talents, Un Impulso Colectivo, Un Impulso Colectivo – Short and the Critics Jury).
Quim Casas, Leticia Dolera and Alba Sotorra were the Talents Jury, which decided the award of the most international competition of D’A, with first or second feature films by their directors. “An imaginative, simple and poetic coming-of-age story that expresses the crisis of the future of contemporary youth”. This is how the Jury expressed the virtues of Un sol radiant, winner of the Talents Award, endowed with 10,000 euros. This Catalan production, a collective work by Mònica Cambra, Ariadna Fortuny, Claudia García de Dios, Lucía Herrera and Mònica Tort, already won the D’A Film Lab Award last year and had its world premiere at D’A, a resounding success in terms of attendance.
The other renowned section of the Festival is Un Impulso Colectivo, which offers a panoramic view of the most daring Spanish and Catalan cinema. The Jury formed by Alberto Lechuga, Zaida Cardona and Eugenia Mumenthaler awards the prize, endowed with 5,000 euros, for “the ability to find its story through rigorous research, both formal and documentary” to La mecánica de los fluidos, by Murcian Gala Hernández López, artist and researcher with one foot in Paris and the other in Berlin, who has made her directorial debut with this virtual, intimate and amazing medium-length film about incel and tinder culture.
The other medium-length film in the Un Impulso Colectivo section wins the OpenEcam Award, awarded by the same jury in collaboration with the Madrid Film School. The prize consists of the free transfer of shooting and editing material by the ECAM for the next film by the winning filmmaker. Of Sóc vertical però m’agradaria ser horitzontal by María Antón Cabot they highlight “its warm and playful look, capable of giving a particular spatial-temporal dimension, which allows the unexpected encounter between two apparently antagonistic women”.
Diez minutos para medianoche is the winning short film in the first D’A short film competitive edition. Mario Sanz, a graduate of Elías Querejeta Zine Eskola, wins the prize of 1,000 euros for “managing to portray the protagonist of the piece from a fascination and affection, which connects us with the strength of the cinematographic gaze”. The Jury of Un Impulso Colectivo – Shorts was formed by Alba Bresolí, David Moragas and Patricia Sánchez Mora.
The Critics Jury -Andreu Marves, Nuria Vidal and Alberto Richart-, recognized Metronom, by Romanian Alexandru Belc, for “the involvement of a personal story in a political context and the strength of its mise-en-scène”.
The D’A Film Lab, already an essential part of the Festival, has awarded the Final Cut Award of 20,000 euros for post-production to the film Sobre todo de noche (4a4 Productions) by Basque director Víctor Iriarte. During the work sessions at SGAE, a cut of this future film starring Lola Dueñas and Ana Torrent, with a script by the director himself in collaboration with Isa Campo and Andrea Queralt, was shown.
In the WIP section of D’A Film Lab (Emerging Catalan Production), two awards have been granted: Lokro Production for Mala gente by Sara Gutiérrez Galve and the Music Libary Award for Younger Days by Gerard Vidal.
But not everything has been in the hands of the juries. The D’A audience also had a say, voting after each screening. The Audience Award for best feature film went to the Argentinian film Trenque Lauquen, by Laura Citarella, produced by El Pampero, a four-hour work that has become the cinephile event par excellence of the festival. The Audience Award for best short film goes to Paula Martínez Artero‘s Esta no es una película on Cardenete, a hilarious and transgressive fresco, in which the director reappropriates material recorded in the 80s by three brothers from L’Hospitalet.
- Talents Award: Un sol radiant by Mònica Cambra Domínguez, Ariadna Fortuny Cardona, Clàudia Garcia de Dios, Lucía Herrera Pérez and Mònica Tort Pallarès (Spain, 2023)
- Un Impulso Colectivo Award: La mecánica de los fluidos by Gala Hernández López (Spain, France, 2022)
- OpenECAM Un Impulso Colectivo Award: Sóc vertical però m’agradaria ser horitzontal by María Antón Cabot (Spain, 2022)
- Un Impulso Colectivo Shorts Award: Diez minutos para medianoche by Mario Sanz (Spain, 2022)
- Critic’s Choice Award: Metronom by Alexandru Blec (Romania, France, 2023)
- Audience Award: Trenque Lauquen by Laura Citarella (Argentina, Germany, 2022)
- Short Audience Award: Esta no es una película sobre Cardenete by Paula Martínez Artero (Spain, 2022).
- D’A Film Lab Barcelona Award: Sobre todo de noche by Víctor Iriarte (Espanya), a production by 4a4 Productions.
- Lokro Production Award – Emerging Catalan Production: Mala gent by Sara Gutiérrez Galve (Spain)
- Music Library Award – Emerging Catalan Production: Younger Days by Gerard Vidal (Spain)